This National Registered Historic home of varied architectural styles began as a one room settler’s home c. 1709.
The Keeping Room, a second kitchen from Colonial times, adjoins a new modern kitchen.
Entering this Victorian Parlor is like stepping into a Arabian jewel box.
The keeping room, the most popular room in the house, sits alongside a new modern kitchen.
3oo years back in time — a genuine keeping room kitchen, fireplace, tin oven, copper sink and farm table.
The Federal living room, painted in the color of morning sunshine, is the cheeriest room in the house.
Great Home and Destination Featured in New York Times
See the New York Times Article featuring this home, written by Mike Powell, and published October 17, 2013. Sale price of the home is now reduced to $499,000.
Here is a excerpt of the article:
“The house was built in the mid-1750s as a one- or two-room dwelling, expanded over the years and last renovated in 2008. In 2001, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Original features include inch-thick wide-plank oak floors and several brick fireplaces. The oldest part of the house, which functions as a dining room, has hand-hewn oak ceiling beams, a Dutch door and a wide brick fireplace with a pot hook and a bread oven. The dining room opens to the kitchen, creating a 45-foot-long space in total, spanning the north side of the house. The kitchen has Jenn-Air appliances, granite countertops and light wood cabinets. The center hall — part of a 19th-century expansion — has patterned Victorian wallpaper and a cloth floor covering hand-painted to mimic granite. There are parlors on either side. Some of the wall sconces and iron door hardware are original, as is a chandelier in one of the parlors.
“Bedrooms are upstairs. The master — the largest room in the house — has 11-foot ceilings supported by oak beams and a walk-in closet. Another bedroom has an original built-in cabinet likely designed to store children’s toys. Two of the upstairs bathrooms have cast-iron claw-foot tubs.”
The house has undergone three major transformations from a one room settlement c. 1709 into a twelve room Registered National Historic Place with all its varied architectural elements including Early Colonial, Federal, Georgian, Greek Revival and Victorian styles.
This Colonial keeping room was a ‘second kitchen’, after game was cleaned in another place. Adjoining the room is a modern kitchen equipped with new Jenn-Aire appliances, a six burner gas stove & grill along a 22 foot granite counter.
The house has plenty of gathering space, two parlors, a spacious center hall and a large keeping room connected to the Federal parlor and the center hall which adjoin the kitchen — an ideal setting for entertaining many guests.
The bedrooms & bathrooms meet on the 2nd floor hall except the master bathroom. A laundry room & a storage room complete the floor. The floors, windows, fixtures & doors are Victorian. The chandelier is made of hand blown glass.
633 Ridgebury Road
Slate Hill, NY 10973